Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sketchbook Pages

I am running out of pages in my sketchbook super fast! It looks like I will have to get a new one this weekend. I love looking into other people's sketchbooks, so I am offering a couple pages of mine.


This is what a lot of the pages in my sketchbook are like... floating heads and faces with flowers and trees and swirls, and I write little notes to myself in the blank spaces.


I was thinking about compiling my own sort of visual dictionary full of the images and themes I like to use in my paintings, to inspire myself. But... thats what my sketchbook is all about anyway.

I draw a lot of faces. And hair.

Upside-down Bunny! I always forget which way is Up in my sketchbook, so I draw in all sorts of directions, and on both sides of the page. My sketchbooks are a messy messy fun place full of images that stick in my brain... And a place that I don't have to feel like I need to finish anything. There are a lot of half-finished, or barely realized ideas softly sketched in there. I like using pencil and teeny tiny super thin pure black pens. A lot of these floating ideas get turned into paintings, but once you add color into the mix, the images involve into something else.... The girl in the top left corner was the idea for my Spring painting... sometimes I wonder if I lose some of the feeling or mood in the translation from sketchbook to painting.

No comments: