Thursday, August 14, 2008
My first Art Doll! (with wired arms, wheee!)
I just wired the arms of this sweet little art doll I made, so now they are poseable. I'm in love! I made her out of gourds, paper mache, and paper clay... and painted her features. I also hand made her outfit, no sewing because I don't have a machine, but it is glued together with tacky glue and golden heavy gel.. I constructed it like I would if I were to sew it, and glued the seams, thankfully I was using clear tacky glue, otherwise I don't know how long that would have taken! All the muslin is hand-dyed/painted/distressed and I never throw away ribbon/yarn/fabric scraps so I had a lot of miscellaneous fabrics and ribbons and buttons that I added, on her back there is a little flower I made out of fabric scraps and beads. I really like the 'shabby chic' look she has. Her hair is lamb's wool that curls up wonderfully.... but then I thought she needed something, so I added a hat, made out of the same fabric and ribbons scraps as her dress. That part was really exciting, because I've never made anything like a hat ever... its not as easy as I originally thought. I can't wait to make more pieces like this! I want to make a Santa with the frayed-edge-pieced-together look that I did here.
(The blue in the bottom photo is tape, because I couldn't decide on the exact placement of her arms when I had the camera.)